Although I don’t like to admit it: I’m clothes hoarder. As I imagine most of us fashionistas are! Unfortunately, my one bedroom apartment isn’t equipped for me to hang onto clothes forever. A few years ago I decided to try and find a way to sell my clothes online. Initially I tried multiple apps and websites, although they all had features that I liked, Poshmark seemed to be the most inclusive.
If you guys aren’t familiar with Poshmark it’s a website/app where you can sell your gently used clothes, buy pieces from others, or trade. I love Poshmark for many reasons, each of which I’ll go more into detail about as you read. For one, you can name your price. You can list your piece at any price you see fit and then lower it (or not!) if your eager to get rid of it and it. Secondly, Poshmark allows you to make offers on items you like, the seller than has the opportunity to accept, decline or counter the offer. Thirdly, you can bundle items from a sellers closet together so you only have to pay for shipping once. In addition, sellers can offer a bundle discount so you can buy more for less. And finally, a pre-paid flat rate shipping is included in all purchases so you can easily drop your package in the mail and track it.
Since using Poshmark I’ve been able to sell hundreds of dollars worth of clothes. I’m then able to channel all the money I make from old clothes into buying new clothes. Without feeling guilty! I know we all love guilt free shopping!
10 Tips and Tricks for Selling you Clothes On Poskmark
- Make sure all you photos are clear and accurately convey what you are selling. When I take my photos, if I have time, I like to model the clothes. I find that when I don’t model something I get asked to do so down the line anyway, and I often ask other sellers to model their clothes as well. Modeling helps increase sales in two ways. One, buyers see how the piece can be styled and, two, they have a better understanding of how something fits. Since returns are non existent on Poshmark buyers want to be 100% what they are buying is going to fit. Modeling allows the buyer to compare your body type to theirs. Also, clothes usually look the best when they’re on a body or mannequin. Your job as a seller is to make your buyer forget that they are buying something second hand so take good quality photos in good light and make your whole Posh closet look professional. Can’t model the item? That’s ok! Try laying out the piece out with some things that would match well with it or hanging it on a hanger to get all angles.
- Take accurate photos. If there is any damage to your item be transparent with your buyer and include it in one of your pictures. You don’t want your buyer rating you poorly or contacting Poshmark for selling them something damaged.
- *Protip: Take a variety of photos
- Use pictures that are your own. To continue from the last tip, accurately conveying your item is very important, you want to include at least one photo of exactly what you are selling. Often times on Poshmark I see sellers using pictures of celebrities wearing similar styles or pictures from a clothing website to gain exposure on their listing. Although I think this does help to gain exposure and is a good idea to use as the cover photo, the rest of your photos should be of your actual item. For example, this Kylie Jenner Bikini listing. I was drawn to the fact that Kylie was wearing it, but I like that the seller also included photos of the actual product I would be receiving. Therefore, I can assess the quality, fit, and how similar it is to the one Kylie is wearing.
- Be active in Poshparties. Like anything being interactive and marketing is the best way to boost sales. Poshmark has a feature called “parties”, a few times a day they host a party like “Best of Sweaters”. You can then share all the sweaters in your closet to that party allowing for thousands of users the opportunity to see your listing.
- Share others listings. This goes hand in hand with the parties. On Poshmark you can share your own listings to parties and you can share other sellers listings. Sharing others listings in parties, or with your own followers, increases the likelihood that that Posher will share one of your listings. It’s generally Posh etiquette to “share for share”, it may not always happen, but you never know when someone who has 500,000 followers will share your item and blow up your closet.
- * Tip: When you share your own items they move to the top of your closet so you can keep your best stuff above the fold. This also filters things that’ve sold to the bottom of your closet.
- Be responsive. Don’t we all love good customer service? For me, I know when I receive good service I’m more likely to return and buy again. I’m also more likely to buy when I see the seller has a 5 star rating. Indicators like this make me feel confident in my purchase. It’s the same thing on Poshmark. Your closet becomes your little business and responding to a buyers comments quickly proves to them that you are professional and serious about selling to them. In addition, when someone makes a purchase, always ship quickly. Doing these two things will ensure that the buyer is going to give you a 5 star rating, and thus, make your closet more attractive to newcomers.
- Example: I recently sold something and because I am out of town I was unable to ship right away, a quick message to the buyer and the issue was completely resolved and now the buyer is informed of the delay and doesn’t think I’m a bad seller.
- Know the rules. You will often see people comment on posts asking the seller to take the transaction to another site, like paypal, to avoid poskmark taking their percent or shipping charges. Don’t do this. For one, Poshmark takes a very small, and fair, percent which is worth it to have the security and buyer protection they offer. If you buy something from a seller and pay via Paypal you’ll have no insurance policy in case you never receive the item or it’s damaged. Poshmark will block your comments if you suggest using Paypal or taking the transaction outside of their site. I’m sure if you did this continuously they would no longer allow you to be a seller.
- *Tip: Poshmark is constantly on the look out for fakes. DO NOT try and sell a counterfeit item, and be smart when you are buying something designer because you never know!
- Offer a bundle discount. One of the best parts about Poshmark is you can bundle things in a sellers closet together. Allowing you to purchase multiple items at once, but only pay shipping once. As a seller it’s important to offer a bundle discount. It encourages buyers to buy more item so they can get the discount. In return your able to clear out your closet faster and make $$$$.
- Be as descriptive as possible. To keep it as easy on yourself, and on your buyers, be truthful and informative in your description. This will help you in the long run from having to respond to questions in the comments. You can include things like the condition of the item, measurements, brand, quality, and when you can ship. Treat your closet like your own clothing website and think about what you would want to know about an item.
- Price your items honestly. This can be hard. You may still have an attachment to a specific piece of clothing and want to price it higher because its valuable to you, but remember, your buyer hasn’t become attached to it yet. Also, remember that you’re selling these clothes gently used, and your buyers knows that. If you want your item to sell make sure that you price your items where your buyer feels like they are getting a deal, but you don’t feel cheated. I like to price my items on the higher side at the beginning, once I see how to item is doing I can then adjust the price. This leaves wiggle room to drop the price or accept an offer.
- Share on other social medias. We all know the best way to market is to share. Get your closet out there on as many platforms as you can. Poshmark allows you to easily share any of your listings to other socials which will drive more people to your closet. You can also hand out your sign up code this way, when others sign up with your code you’ll both receive $5. WIN WIN!
As for buying goes (I’ll keep this one short ;)….
I’ll come out and say that I’m not an avid Poshmark shopper, mainly because I have a hard time shopping when things aren’t totally organized. Recently Posh has added a ton of filters for when you shop that does make it a lot easier, but I prefer to use Posh when I know exactly what I want. Poshmark makes it really easy to search a specific style or brand. I often find things that have sold out online at a way more affordable price. I usually like to use the balance that I accumulate from sales to buy new things on the app. Although, Poshmark does give you the opportunity to cash your earnings out to your bank account, as well.
Liking items allows you to save them as if they were in a shopping cart, I like to add a whole bunch of the same or similar items from different sellers and then compare the prices. Just be quick because the good stuff sells fast! My final tip would be, don’t rate an item until your sure your happy with it. Once you rate the seller your transaction is closed, if you have an issue with the item or it’s damaged you can contact Poshmark support and they’re very helpful and quick to resolve any issues.
If You’re ready to sign up for a Poshmark Account Use my Code: Penro for $5 off!
And if you’d like to check out my closet search Username: Morgann17
Happy Shopping Loves!